Surfing the web today I found something surprising, an open source web framework written in php under the BSD license, Silver Stripe. That's not the cool part though. Silver Stripe is Microsoft Certified. Check out their blog here for some more info on that.
This is truly ground breaking in my opinion. It seems that more and more the big software companies are seeing how beneficial open source development can be. I plan on checking out this framework soon and writing more about it's features. Even though I've had some bad experiences with Windows in the past and have since moved to Fedora Linux there is no reason we can't come to a truce. If Microsoft is going to accept open source as a viable option I think they should be commended.
I wish the developers of Silver Stripe the best of luck. I hope open source developers will find this project and really show the power of the open source community to Microsoft.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Hey so I intend to write in length about my experiences at the Engineer of the Future Conference this past weekend. However it IS finals week and despite having very little intrinsic motivation to study I have a WHOLE LOT of extrinsic motivation. Look for a full report later this week.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
This weekend I'm headed to Champaign, IL this weekend for the Engineer of the Future 3.0 conference. Should be very cool. I'm excited to see how it goes. I'll be blogging as much as possible here as well as tweeting throughout the day on my twitter page. Stay tuned for updates!
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
So one of our big bugs at the hackfest turned out to be a very simple fix. We were saving a config file using ConfigParser. Transbot was saving IRC channels with the pound symbol(#) still prefixed to it. What we didn't realize is that ConfigParser later reads these lines as a comment and ignores them. Needless to say we were relieved when we realized what was causing our headaches.
Monday, November 8, 2010
Last Friday's hackfest was a great success. Even though I was late due to work, Mark and I managed to get a ton of work done. Our timeline shows how many commits we did. We fixed the bugs in our config file setup as well as fully implementing our in-channel commands. At this point I think we have the majority of our major features in place. We're going to look into turning this into an RPM tomorrow. I was hoping to have lmacken's help but he's on vacation right now. We're going to forge ahead and see if we can get this on our own. Hopefully next week will be only fixing some bugs. I'd like to see something I can proudly call Transbot v1.0 by the end of the quarter.